Monday, 25 January 2016

The Science and Management See-Saw


I often write about the career development of scientists and how some move into management when they really shouldn't.  So often scientists get promoted into a management position and they simply have not got the organisational or leadership skills to deliver upon their objectives.

I thought that it would be good to compare some differences between a scientist versus that of  a manager within the same organisation.


It is a small list of differences but I hope one that will help clarify what is important in the roles of scientist versus manager.
At the end is a really good question which we need to answer for ourselves as honestly as possible.  when you look at the list above, which side describes you most accurately?

Sometimes it can be hard to work out what is important to us and what we want to achieve.  Many people ignore the question completely and go about their daily lives with little self awareness.  A good way to identify skills and visualising our roles in science for the future is performance coaching.

Working with someone who totally has your back in terms of your development who you trust to challenge your thoughts and assumptions about your career and what you do in it is extremely valuable.  I know, because it very much changed my life.  Drop me a line if you want to know more.

Click here to visit The Coaching For Scientists website.
Click here to visit the Coaching For Scientists website.


No comments:

Post a Comment